Government and Municipal Practice
Our Municipal Government Practice team combines highly experienced attorneys from the public and private sectors, distinguished law firms and senior leadership in corporate law departments.
Daley Mohan Groble's experience and proven success in representing clients such as the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois give us a unique perspective on the diverse challenges facing state governmental agencies and municipalities today. Our clients rely not only on our legal expertise, but also our practical approach to problem-solving and effective strategies that provide them the ability to vigorously and fully assert their rights.
Our Government and Municipal Practice focuses on the key legal challenges facing municipalities and their constituencies including:
MUNICIPAL LIABILITY MATTERS
- Tort Immunity
- Tort Liability
- Civil Rights
STATE GOVERNMENT AND MUNICIPAL LABOR/EMPLOYMENT MATTERS
- Civil Rights
- Title VII challenges
- Traditional labor employment including Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
MUNICIPAL REAL ESTATE AND LAND USE MATTERS
- Eminent Domain
- Land Usage including brownfields and environmental regulation
- Property acquisitions and transactions
Daley Mohan Groble's Government and Municipal Practice is led by partner Richard T. Sikes, Jr., a highly successful trial attorney with 30 years of experience in representing government and municipal clients. Mr. Sikes began his career as an Assistant States Attorney in Cook County. Since moving to the private sector, Mr. Sikes has represented the City of Chicago, Cook County and the State of Illinois.
Mr. Sikes recently secured a $40 million settlement for the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) after a 12-year legal dispute concerning a section of Joliet Road in McCook, Illinois. In another case, he secured summary judgment for the City of Chicago in a class action involving over 800 people who claimed that they were wrongfully arrested during a protest.
Firm partner Raymond H. Groble III is also actively involved in the firm's Government and Municipal Practice. Mr. Groble's vast experience as a trial and transactional attorney includes representation of the Chicago Park District and other clients in labor and employment matters, including litigation arising from alleged violations of Illinois Human Rights Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act and Title VII. Mr. Groble's expertise in real estate and land use issues includes eminent domain litigation, zoning approvals and real estate transactions of all types.
Joining Mr. Sikes and Mr. Groble in the firm's Government and Municipal Practice is a diverse team of attorneys including:
- Maisha N. Shaw is an associate specializing in litigation. Prior to joining Daley Mohan Groble, Maisha was an Assistant Attorney General at the Office of the Illinois Attorney General in Chicago, Illinois. Maisha defended state agencies in employment litigation, including matters under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act and Title VII – race, religion, sex discrimination and sexual harassment. During law school, Ms. Shaw received the James C. Faison Multicultural Leadership Award and the Massachusetts Black Judge Book Award. She was President of the Multi-Cultural Law Student's Society and Black Law Student's Association.